Yoga Alliance 16 contact hour/7 non-contact Continuing Education hours
BCRPA Continuing Education Credits
Yoga Outreach Level II Core Training ™
This advanced training is for people interested in examining the social issues that give rise to trauma, as well as the latest research on psychology and anatomy in the context of trauma and healing. Upon completing this course, yoga and other movement-based instructors will have a more richly informed view of how the following topics show up in a trauma-informed yoga class:
- interoception & neuroception
- mental health (as it relates to the above points)
Each module is richly supported with current readings and recordings from thought leaders in the fields of trauma theory, Yoga, and social activism.
As well, you’ll refresh, refine, practice and get peer feedback on trauma-informed Yoga tools and techniques learned in the foundational Yoga Outreach Core Training™, with a particular focus on teaching students affected by addictions or mental health challenges.
Yoga Outreach Core Training™ is a prerequisite for this course.
“Being more sensitive to language, especially around gendered language, being more aware of who is and isn’t in class, being able to offer modifications for larger bodies in a sensitive way, and honouring yoga e.g. acknowledging what parts of yoga I am and am not sharing, my own background and where yoga comes from etc. This training answered lots of questions for me.”
“As a leader of yoga classes and with all my relationships, this training helped me to increase my knowledge and my ability to communicate in a more skillful and conscious way.”
“The course content really opened my eyes. Yoga Outreach’s trainings have by far been some of the most informative and valuable not just for yoga but for life.”
“The readings were great way to prepare for some of the topics discussed in the training. I was amazed by the diversity of the authors! Good job on actually getting the info from people who have lived experiences.”
“THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I feel bigger today. And I will be moving forward with new awareness, as a person and as a yoga teacher. Very grateful.”
2019 Training Dates Online (8 weeks)
Date September 17th – November 5th, 2019
This course is live via zoom every Tuesday from 6pm – 8pm. Recordings will be available if you can’t attend live.
Current YO Volunteers: $180.00
YO Volunteer Alumni: $240.00 (those who have completed 6 months + volunteering)
Refresh & refine trauma-informed Yoga tools and techniques learned in the Yoga Outreach Core Training™.
MODULE 1: TRAUMA INFORMED YOGA REVIEW, POLYVAGAL THEORY & LIBERATION PSYCHOLOGY
- Refresh & refine trauma-informed Yoga tools and techniques learned in the Yoga Outreach Core Training™
- Deepen our understanding of the importance of teacher regulation and relationship in supporting Yoga Outreach students.
- Explore the challenges/barriers faced by Yoga Outreach students who experience the world in a way that is often diagnosed as a mental illness and how yoga and a non-pathological approach to mental health intersect.
- Discuss how Yoga Outreach classes could be viewed as sites of liberation.
MODULE 2: IMPACTS OF COLONIZATION, HISTORICAL & INTERGENERATIONAL TRAUMA, BRINGING YOGA TO INDIGENOUS COMMUNITIES
- Learn about the legacy of colonialism in Canada & the ways in which historical and intergenerational trauma reverberate throughout time.
- Gain an understanding of how to create safety and allyship when bringing yoga into Indigenous communities.
MODULE 3: SPIRITUAL BYPASSING, POST TRAUMATIC GROWTH & SURVIVORS MISSION
- Define and discuss spiritual bypassing and how it shows up in our own lives and the larger yoga community.
- Consider ways in which to identify and avoid spiritual bypassing
- Explore Post Traumatic Growth and Survivors Mission as it relates to Yoga Outreach students and to us.
MODULE 4: OPPRESSION
- Define and discuss oppression and the ways in which interlocking systems of oppression impact Yoga Outreach students.
- Define developmental trauma and discuss the implications of the ACE Study when supporting youth in Yoga Outreach settings.
- Deepen our understanding of trauma outcomes and health.
MODULE 5: CULTURAL APPROPRIATION & DECOLONIZING YOGA
- Review a brief history of yoga and discuss dominance of Vedic Hinduism; understand how this dominance was brought to the west.
- Explore concepts of racial and/or economic privilege.
- Unpack what our goals are in being teachers of yogasana in Yoga Outreach settings and beyond.
Deepen our awareness of the positions of privilege that we hold as individuals, as teachers, as practitioners of yogasana and as a community.
- Consider how we can we maintain these goals as teachers of yogasana with integrity and compassion.
MODULE 6: CHRONIC PAIN
- Define and discuss different types of chronic pain and how they impact the lives of Yoga Outreach students.
- Learn about various traditional interventions and how yoga can impacts our relationship to pain.
MODULE 7: BODY POSITIVE YOGA
- Understand the importance of creating safe practice spaces for people of all sizes
- Learn specific modifications and props so students can customize their practices according to their own needs.
MODULE 8: INCLUSION
- Explore and understand that yoga is a way to potentially support the mental and physical health of LGBTQSIA+ communities and the impact that focus on hetero and cis-normative body images as the assumed goal, can make yoga spaces unsafe places.
- Gain skills in facilitating a space where every participant feels welcome and safe.
- Become familiar with inclusive practices and languaging for LGBTQSIA+ students.
Work-study Option for up to 50% off tuition
Work-study involves a trade in labour in exchange for up to 1/2 off the cost of the training. Please complete our online form. Applications must be completed 1 month prior to the training in order to allow adequate time to complete volunteer hours prior to attendance.
Training tuition is refundable, less a 15% administration fee, up to 21 days prior to the training start date. Notice of cancellation must be received in writing via email@example.com to receive a refund. No refunds will be issued within the 21 days prior. Fees are non-transferable.